Saturday, February 20, 2010

Sentimental Sunday: We Meet Again

Kristi, Kathyrn and ME
10 October 2007
Sheppard Airforce Base Air show
Wichita Falls, Texas

To most people a photo with their mom is not that big of a deal. 
However, to me it is!

You see, up until this particular week, I had not seen my mom in 33 years.  You heard me correctly.  When I was a little girl, her and my father divorced when I was 4.  I had not spoken to or seen her since. 

In Feb. of 2007 I had just moved to Wichita Falls and happened to be at lunch and my grandmother called.  She informed me that my dad had brought us a letter from our cousin Rene.  In the letter it told my father that she was looking for Robin and Krisit and if she didn't have the right person, to please forgive her.  If so, then she was hopping to contact us and if he didn't want to give us the letter she would understand.  Well, obviously he gave us the letter.

At first I was in shock and didn't know what to say, think or feel. 
When I went home that night, I sat down and wrote her a letter back and it wasn't very nice.  It stayed in the door of my car for months.  In late March, early April, I sat down to write another letter.  The next morning I gave it to my ex-mother in law and asked her to mail it for me.  Sometime in mid April I received a phone call shortly after I got home from Rene(my cousin).  We talked for a while that night and hung up.  The next night, we talked again and I also received a call from my mom.  I knew instantly who it was without her even telling me. 

In October of 2007, they all came to Texas to visit.  When I first saw her I was actually numb.  I was not sure how to feel or what to say.  I think for the first few days I actually walked around like a zombie.  I can't say that the visit was perfect and had a totally happy ending.  It didn't!  However, I can say that at the end of the visit I no longer had questions or regret.  It has taken the last 3 years for us to become friends.  However, I have not regrets nor hard feelings.  I can honestly say that when I leave this world that I am ok with it and no matter what I wont't leave wondering.....

1 comment:

  1. Robin, Sounds to me like you have many accomplishments (besides being a MOM) -- and perhaps the greatest is having an open heart and mind.

    ReplyDelete