Monday, February 15, 2010

Submission #7: More Google Maps

So This morning I posted some maps that showed the location of my great-grandfather's old farm.  Little did I know that you could see street view.  (Thanks Cyndi for posting your photo on FB, otherwise I would have never know to look)  So, here are the street views of the farm NOW!

This is the view of the barn and the fence line as you come in from Sherman, TX


As you drive up to the house this is the view you will see.  On the other side of the short wooden fence, is where the garden was and went all the way back to the fence where it blocked the cattle in... (unless some little redheaded, 4 year old let them out).  Wonder who that was?  Bet she got into lots of trouble....




View Larger Map


View Larger Map

This is the way the old house looks now. Orginally it was white and had a small porch off the ground and had a few steps leading up to the porch. Where the car is now, there use to be a carport that had a small tool room on it. To the left of the drive was is where the garden once stood. Just behind the house was the wheeping willow and the mimosa tree and my swing. You can't see it, but just behind the house is the creek. I remember my grandmother running out of the house one day with a hoe while I was swinging and it looked like she was coming straight for me. At the age of 4-5, seeing a old lady runing toward you wish a how is a little fighting. Well, after all the tears and screaming was over, I discovered she was after a "Cotton Mouth" just under the seat next to me.

So with this, I have completed my 7th submission for the Winter 2010 GeneaBlogger Games and Challenge #7 for 52 Weeks To Better Genealogy hosted by:  Amy Coffin.

2 comments:

  1. Robin, Just Way cool! I enjoyed seeing the farm from the street.;


    If there had been Google Maps when I was in school, I would have enjoyed Geography so much more. I love taking an hour or so and just "traveling" to far off lands -- to see city streets, Canals in Amsterdam, or the street (wynde) where my gggrandfather lived in Dundee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin,
    Thanks for stopping by!
    Google Maps is simply awesome!

    Keep these ancestor stories coming!

    Bill ;-)

    http://drbilltellsancestorstories.blogspot.com/
    Author of "13 Ways to Tell Your Ancestor Stories"

    ReplyDelete